ALBION, Mich. – Albion College scored 28 points off turnovers to pull away for an 88-62 victory over Calvin College in Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association women's basketball action at Kresge Gymnasium.
Albion never trailed, and it seized control with a 12-0 run to forge an 18-4 lead late in the first quarter. Maija Gillum ignited the rally with a 3-point basket, Brooke Schutte and Emily Bernas added layups, Sam Carter knocked down a 3-point basket and Rain Hinton finished with a jumper in the lane.
Albion led by as many as 17 in the second quarter before settling for a 41-31 margin at halftime.
Bernas scored 13 of her 15 points in the fourth quarter as Albion outscored the Knights, 32-21, to win going away.
- Hinton secured her fourth double-double and 20-point game of the season when she finished with 22 points and 10 rebounds. She was 9-of-18 from the field.
- Gillum chipped in with 16 points, five rebounds, and two blocks off the bench. She knocked down 4-of-5 shots from 3-point range.
- Bernas stuffed the box score with seven rebounds, six assists and two steals.
- Carter's stat line included 10 points, five steals and three assists.
- Albion shot 57 percent (12-of-21) from the field in the fourth quarter.
- Calvin concentrated on limiting Evelyn Wischmeyer, who was held to seven points, and Head Coach Doreen Carden was proud of how her team responded. "I'm proud of us because they stopped Evelyn but we had other people step up," she said.
- Wischmeyer made a pair of free throws, and she is 15-for-15 from the line through six MIAA contests this season
- Albion extended its season-high winning streak to five games.
Albion (12-2 overall, 5-1 MIAA) will hit the road for its next three games. The road trips begin Saturday for a 3 p.m. game at Alma College.